Thursday, April 21, 2011

one from the vaults

This is something I recorded back in the summer of 2010, which feels so recent when I think of it, but sounds so distant when I say it. I recorded it in my basement when I had access to an electric guitar and amp, but I have neither now so I can't really do a whole lot of revising -- instead I'll just share it.

http://soundcloud.com/daustin/chill-waving


I'm not at all in love with the guitar part -- it's just not doing what I want it to -- but I also am pretty satisfied considering my recording setup was very makeshift and I only did a handful of takes. I think if I had the means to go back and alter the guitar, I would want to introduce some unobtrusive riff earlier in the song just to makes its presence felt, and then have it sort of develop into a more reserved solo, but until I get some means of recording electric guitar in my apartment it will just have to stand as it is.

If the name wasn't a dead giveaway, I was listening to and feeling inspired by a lot of so-called 'chillwave' at that point. I say 'so-called' because, at least on the blogosphere, there was a big hoopla about whether or not all the various musicians that got grouped together under the genre 'chillwave' actually had anything in common besides making vaguely summery, chill music. I think a better name might be 'post-Panda Bear'.

Genre wars aside, I love the music for the most part, although it will be interesting to see if it's at all sustainable, or if it really wasn't anything more than a passing trend, immensely enjoyed and immediately forgotten, just like so many summers. Oh well, I'll always look forward to experiencing and eventually forgetting Next Summer, and all the blissed-out, sun-bleached music that it will inevitably bring.

If you're interested, this is basically the Holy Trinity of chillwave, in my opinion:
1) Washed Out - Feel it all around
2) Toro Y Moi - Blessa
3) Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment